It has been a while since I last posted - I am not very good at this! But so much has happened in that time -
My oldest, the one I argue with, is going to college! She is going to the Art Institute of Nashville and will be getting a BA in Photographic Imaging. I am very excited, but also dreading the day she leaves. As much as we argue, she keeps me lively and entertained and I will miss her sorely. I want her to go forth and conquer on her own, and feel that this is where her heart really lies. I know she will do well, but am scared about letting her loose upon the world. She's not naive, but is vulnerable. Goddess, help me deal!
Work has also been very stressful! Just really bogged down in all the little stuff - not able to get anything truly finished. Drives me nuts! We are getting overwhelmed with people who can't make do on what little they have. My heart hurts as I talk to them, but I can't do anything for them. I am working on review today where the 74 yr old woman lives on $690 a month - she can't really afford toilet paper, much less anything else. I am trying to figure out how I can buy her some stuff at the store and get it to her without letting her know its from me. But I can't really afford to support all the elderly in town -
Which leads me to this - the stars come out to raise money for Haiti (don't get me wrong, it is a good cause and I have contributed) but so many of our elderly are barely making it here in America. Can we not do something for them? Can we not have telethons and fundraisers to help them? They have given so much over the years to help create this great country we live in and then we toss them aside when they reach a certain age. How terrible is that? How unfeeling and selfish are we? We give to every country around us that asks, but cannot take care of our own and help them live in some degree of comfort and security. I am guilty of seeing these things and not doing anything myself - in my job I have to keep my heart from getting too involved - but it makes me cry to think of this poor little lady sitting in her small apartment with very little to comfort her. In just a few years I may be in that same position - we all could.
Let us take some time to bring comfort to the crones around us - to lift their spirits a little and let them know someone cares about them. We will be there soon enough and will need it ourselves. Crones are not to be put on the shelf, but are to looked to for wisdom and faith and love. Age gives us much to share at a time when most overlook us - let's open our eyes and see what we can receive from those who have gone before us and then do what we can to ease their dwindling days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment